Wednesday, September 17, 2008

My Most Embarrassing Pregnancy Story (so far!)

We've been taking a 3 part series of childbirth classes through the hospital in which I'm going to deliver. (tonight is our last class in that series). Leslie the instructor has been wonderful. She's been a labor & delivery nurse for 20 years so she really knows her stuff.

There's allot of discussion on deep, calm breathing instead of the hee-hee-hee type. She's also really good at explaining what our coaches can do to help in regards to keeping us calm and massaging our backs/shoulders, etc.. basically anything we want them to do. :) Matt has been doing a great job paying attention and rubbing my shoulders and back.

Last week Wed during the last 10-15 of our class she had us sit on the floor, with Matt behind me. The couples were spread out around the room and it was just us and one other couple in our area. She took us into a very relaxed state with our deep breathing techniques. Matt was rubbing my belly as I leaned back against him. The only sound in the room was her voice.. that is until I let out the biggest FART!

(OMG, I'm crying with laughter even as I write this!) As if the loud noise wasn't enough, I could not stop laughing. I had tears streaming down my face and I had to sit up because ever time I thought about it, I'd have a laughing fit again and couldn't stop shaking. The instructor kept talking about letting yourself go and every word she said seemed (at the time) directed at me and my loud gas explosion.

Back story: When you're in your third-trimester your digestive system slows down and constipation/gas pains are more prevalent. That entire week I felt backed up and that day in particular I had horrible gas pains... pains so bad I had to stop moving and gasp a little before the pain passed. I was starting to feel better after dinner, right before our class so I wasn't really worried about it.

Apparently belly rubbing is the trick! Tonight is our first time back since "the incident". I'm a little embarrassed still because I left there giggling with tears in my eyes. I didn't actually try to make eye contact with any of the other moms and dads. As to not have a repeat tonight, I woke up early to take a walk, have been eating lots of fruit, and drinking lots of water... wish me luck! (I wonder if the same couple will sit near us again?)

No comments: